16th Congress of the Mediterranean Phytopathological Union
17th – 20th November, 2020 20th – 22nd April 2021
Due to the recent outbreak of the Coronavirus, the conference has been postponed and will be held between the
17th and 20th of November 2020 20th – 22nd of April 2021 at The Saint Raphael Hotel and Resort. In case of any queries please contact the local organisers.
Dear MPU 2020 Participants,
After very careful consideration of all the parameters regarding the changing situation of the Coronavirus pandemic and as the main concern has been the health of all conference participants and the limitation of the spreading of this disease, the MPU Board in collaboration with the Local Organisers have decided to postpone the conference until 20 – 22 of April 2021.
Thus the following parameters should be noted:
- The new dates regarding the conference are 20-22/04/2021.
- The venue will remain the same, “The Saint Raphael Hotel and Resort” in Limassol.
- The abstract submission system will reopen so that people may amend/update their existing work. It will also be possible to submit new work.
- In an effort to minimize hassle and costs, the following actions will be taken regarding registrations and other local services:
- All the registrations will be automatically transferred. However, if someone would like to cancel and get a refund, this would be possible, (an administration fee of 50 euro and relevant bank/credit card charges may apply).
- All local arrangements (hotel bookings, airport transfers, car hire, etc.) will be cancelled and a relevant credit will appear in your Easy Conferences account. This credit could be used to book similar services once you finalize your new travel arrangements. However, if someone would like to get a full refund at this stage, this could be possible.
- The Easy Conferences staff will be ready to assist with all new arrangements, invoicing and refunds. Please do not hesitate to get in touch via email or telephone.
Please keep checking the conference website, http://cyprusconferences.org/mpu2020, for further conference developments.
We would like to apologize for any inconvenience caused, but this decision was required in an effort to protect the health of all participants and their families/communities.
We would like to thank you for your understanding and we look forward to having you with us in Cyprus in April 2021.
The Local Organizing Committee.
The upcoming Congress of the Mediterranean Phytopathological Union entitled “Safeguarding Mediterranean Plant Health” will be held in Limassol, Cyprus, on
17th – 20th November, 2020 20th – 22nd April, 2021. The meeting promotes dissemination of the latest scientific advances and encourages dialogue and collaboration between researchers interested in all aspects of Phytopathology. The conference language is English.
The year 2020 is announced by FAO as Plant Health Year and we plan a large event to showcase the role of Mediterranean Agriculture and Phytopathology, in safeguarding our food, traditions in Mediterranean Diet as well as food security for the whole planet. Plenary, concurrent and poster sessions will be held on key topics such as Genome Analysis; Invasive Emerging Pathogens; Integrated Disease Management; Food Safety; New Tools in Diagnostics and Management; Molecular Pathogen-Host Interactions; Impact of Climate Change; Biocontrol, Natural Compounds and Plant Stimulants; Epidemiology and Modelling and Microbiomes In Plant Health. This conference will also have a session for Abiotic Stresses and in particular drought and salinity stress as well as methods to mitigate these stresses. The meeting proceedings will be published in the international journal Phytopathologia Mediterranea.
A number of abstracts presented as poster contributions will be selected for short oral presentation and discussion. Participation of young researchers is strongly encouraged, and reduced registration rates are available for students and fellows. Awards will be given to best student posters and presentations.
We are looking forward to welcome you in Limassol. Your attendance will contribute to the fruitful exchange of scientific ideas and help to forge new friendships and future collaborations. We are sure that your participation in the conference and your experience in our city will be scientifically rewarding, highly enjoyable and truly unforgettable.
Under the Auspices
of the Ministry of
With the Patronage
of the International
Society for Plant
ICGTD Organized Session
The International Council on Grapevine Trunk Diseases will organize a session during the congress.
Session chairperson: Francoise Halleen (South Africa), David Gramaje (Spain)
Session Title: Fungal wood diseases of fruit and forest trees
Society website: www.icgtd.org
- Dirk Inze (Website)
- Vassilis Fotopoulos (Website)
- Vladimiro Guarnaccia (Website)
- George Karaoglanidis (Website)
- Antonio Logrieco (Website)
- Dimitris Tsitsigiannis (Website)
- Panagiotis Sarris (Website)
- Matteo Garbelotto (Website)
- Tito Caffi (Website)
- Stephane Compant (Website)
- Giuseppe Surico (Website)
- Baldissera Giovani (Website)
- Blanca Landa (Website)
- Diana Fernandez (Website)
- Marie-Agnes Jacques (Website)
- Anna Maria D’Onghia (Website)
- Marios Zervas (Website)
- Richard Falloon (Website i / Website ii)
- Khaled M. Makkouk
- Margreet van der Burg
Topics of Interest
- Abiotic stresses
- Invasive pathogens and new emerging plant
- Genome analysis: applications to plant health
- Plant pathology and food safety
- Molecular pathogen-host interactions
- Epidemiology and modeling
- Microbiomes and their role in plant health
- Integrated Disease Management
- New tools in plant disease diagnosis and management
- Climate change: impact on Mediterranean plant pathology
- Biocontrol, natural compounds and plant defense stimulants
- Wood diseases in fruit and forest crops in the Mediterranean area
- Remote detection and surveillance (monitoring) of plant diseases
- Xylella fastidiosa research in Europe
- Innovative approaches for plant disease resistance
- Emerging mycotoxins in Mediterranean crops: prevention and control
Abstract Submission: 12 July, 2020 , 8 January 2021
Notification of Acceptance:29 July, 2020 , 25 January 2021
Early Registration up to: 29 January, 2020 , 28 February 2021
11-08-2020 – Conference postponed; new dates: 20 – 22 April, 2021
17-01-2020 – Acceptance notification deadline and Early registration extended
02-12-2019 – Abstract submission deadline extended to 10 Jan, 2020
29-11-2019 – Abstract submission deadline extended to 15 Dec, 2019
05-11-2019 – Keynote Speakers updated
07-10-2019 – Registration is open
04-10-2019 – Submissions are open
03-10-2019 – Registration fees are available
03-10-2019 – Accommodation info added
03-10-2019 – Social events updated
02-10-2019 – ASPP Session info added
26-07-2019 – Sponsorship information added
16-07-2019 – The website is now online
Venue, City and Country
The St Raphael Resort
St. Raphael Resort is located on one of the most renowned beaches in Limassol, only a short coastal drive from the lively centre of town, approximately 10 minutes away.
Limassol, a city counting centuries of history, is located between two of the most renowned ancient kingdoms of the island, Amathous at the east and Kourion at the west.
Cyprus is the third largest island in the Mediterranean with an area of 9.251 sq. kms. Cyprus has 5 lovely Botanical Gardens that one can visit and spend a relaxing day.